The terms and conditions of hire set out herein are the only terms and conditions upon which the hirer may hire the trailer from the Owner and/or its agent.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF HIRE
1. In this document the word "Owner" and U-Haul Australia means U-Haul Australia Pty Ltd ABN 20 102 898 653
and/or its related companies (as defined in the Corporation Act 2001) and/or its agents and the word "trailer" means
"trailer, mower and all equipment attached thereto or hired under the hire contract.
2. The Hirer will at or before the commencement of hire inspect and confirm for itself that the trailer is in a good and
serviceable condition. U-Haul Australia reserves the right to exchange the hire item at the said location or nearest
possible location with an equivalent item at any time before and during the booking or hire period. In the event that
the exchange of item or location cannot occur U-Haul Australia reserves the right to refund the hire amount without
any compensation. Hirer is responsible for ensuring the correct trailer is taken by checking the registration number
detailed on the hire docket matches the trailer. Taking the wrong trailer will incur a fee of $150 to compensate for any
inconveniences caused to other Hirers.
3. Hirer agrees to insure his/her own property and towing vehicle against loss or damage for any reason whatsoever
prior to loading or towing trailer and agrees that no claim for loss or damage to such property or vehicle shall be made
against the Owner.
4. The hirer shall use the trailer in a skilful and proper manner and shall not speed or overload it or use it other than
for its normal intended purpose. Trailer dimensions advertised are approximate only, if there is any doubt on the
capacity required it is recommended to select the next size up. Trailers of 6' x 4' to 8' x 5' sizes must not be used to
carry more than 400 kg. The weight of the load must be at least 70% in the front half of the cargo space on the trailer.
The hirer must not exceed 80km per hour or less where lower speed limits apply. The hirer acknowledges that the
relevant Australian Transport Authority requires safety chains and proper lights. It is the hirer's responsibility to comply
with all applicable rules and regulations including load capacity and operation of the trailer and of the towing car.
The Hirer guarantees that they and any named authorized drivers and any other persons they allow to use the trailer:
(i) have the knowledge, skill and ability required to enable them to carry out the loading and towing of the trailer safely
and without incident or accident;
(ii) will take due care by following the safety instructions under these terms and conditions and any other safety
instructions or guidelines that the Owner may provide; and
(iii) will follow any other applicable requirements and recommendations for trailer loading and towing issued from time
to time by the relevant Australian Transport Authority.
The Hirer will not itself and will not allow others to load or tow the trailer without the knowledge, skill and ability required
fulfilling these guarantees.
5. The Hirer agrees that it will not load, tow or otherwise travel with the trailer on any kind of unsealed
road/roadway/laneway or any other transportation route. An unsealed road is defined as a road that does not have a
sealed bitumen surface. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ARE THE TRAILERS TO BE TAKEN ONTO THE BEACH
OR SUBMERSED INTO SALT WATER.
6. Secure your load - Hirer agrees to secure all property/goods or stock within the parameters of the trailer so as
to ensure that the said loads or part thereof will not under any circumstances part from or leave the trailer during transit
or otherwise (see clause 3 above regarding insurance). The Hirer is responsible for the correct and safe connection of
the trailer to the towing vehicle. Only 'broken in' horses are permitted in the Horse Float; NO other livestock is
permitted (in any size trailer). The Hirer will secure their load using suitable tie down materials. (Hirer agrees not to use
the winch on the car carrier to secure the load).
7. The Hirer agrees that all fully enclosed trailers (Furniture Vans, Furniture Trailers) are not guaranteed to be water-
proof or dust proof and that the hirer is responsible to take precautions to prevent water damage to any goods they
enclose within the trailer.
8. Hirer agrees to have coupling attached to the tow vehicle at all times when loading, whilst loaded and during
unloading. The jockey wheel is for raising and lowering the trailer and is not to be used to maneuver the trailer.
9. Upon completion of the hiring, the trailer must be properly cleaned by the hirer. Trailers returned in a dirty
condition in the opinion of the Owner shall be cleaned at the hirer's expense.
10. The hire contract may not be transferred or assigned to any other party without the prior consent in writing of
11. The Hirer shall make his own insurance arrangements and assume all responsibility for any loss, damage or
liability of or arising from the trailer or vehicle while the trailer or vehicle is in the care and control of the hirer or is
being used by the hirer or servants. The trailer is not insured by the Owner against theft or damage while it is outside
the Owners possession or control and it is the hirer's responsibility to keep it secure. The Hirer accepts full liability
for any costs and expenses of repair or replacement relating to the trailer or vehicle in the event that the trailer or
vehicle is lost, stolen or in any way damaged. In the event of damage to the trailer or trailer component, if the
damage cannot reasonably or economically be repaired by the Owner the hirer will be charged at new retail
replacement cost of trailer, vehicle or component as the case may be.
12. The Hirer authorises all charges for the hire of the trailer to be charged and debited to the Hirers credit card or
debit card along with any credit or debit card surcharge.
13. The Hirer agrees that all additional charges related to the hire of the (including, without limitation, all costs and
charges in connection with any breach by the Hirer of the hire agreement and these terms and conditions) will be
automatically charged and debited to the Hirers credit or debit card. If additional charges are not paid, then further
action will be taken to recover monies owed. Any changes to bookings such as (but not limited to) time, date,
location or size of trailer will incur a $10 change fee.
14. The Hirer must hold a valid Australian Drivers Licence (and allows for towing of the hired trailer) and confirms
that they are the same person as named in the licence provided.
15. The Hirer agrees that in the event of incorrect licence details being provided, that the credit card details
provided by the hirer, is proof of hire.
16. On the termination of the period of hiring, the Hirer at his own expense must return the trailer to the address
stated on the hire receipt or if no such address is so stated to the place of the Owner or its agent from which it was
hired. The trailer must be parked in the Site's designated car park/area and secured before the hire will be
ended. The hirer acknowledges and agrees to pay in full to U-Haul Australia the standard trailer recovery fee of
$2100.00 (up to and including 500km, and then an additional $1 per k/m thereafter) should the hirer fail to return the
hire item to the address stated on the hire contract docket.
17. When the trailer cannot be returned by the due time at the expiration of the hiring period (due time) the hirer
must advise U-Haul Australia by calling 1300 883 075 during normal business hours before that due time. The hirer
must advise U-Haul Australia of the estimated time of return and accept charges to the credit or debit card to
extend the original hire period, subject to availability. U-Haul Australia reserves the right to refuse an extension and
require the trailer to be returned by due date and time. This step terminates the contract between U-Haul Australia
and the Hirer at the date and time advised by U-Haul Australia. Upon termination of the contract, failure by the hirer
to return the trailer will be deemed intent on the part of the hirer to not return the trailer and the Police will be
informed and the trailer reported as stolen. When a trailer is not returned by expiration time of the agreed hire period
the post due-time period until return of the trailer shall be treated for charging purposes as overdue. The charge for
overdue trailers will be 150% of the difference between the charge for the original hire period and the charge for the
next available hire period ending when the trailer is returned. Late return not advised as above within 24 hours after
the hiring expiry date will be considered as a stolen trailer and the hirer will be liable to prosecution for theft and al
charges associated with recovering the trailer.
18. The Hirer authorises U-Haul Australia to send SMS correspondence to offer extensions, subject to availability.
19. During the continuance of the hiring, the hirer will not -
(a) Sell, offer for sale, assign, mortgage, pledge or underlet the trailer or any interest of the hirer therein;
(b) Part with possession of the trailer;
(c) Allow any lien to be created in respect of the trailer whether for repairs or otherwise.
20. The hirer acknowledges that the Owner may use satellite tracking devices on any of its hire equipment.The
hire agrees and acknowledges that the Owner and/or its business partners may use and disclose data recordedin
relation to this rental in conjunction with any future promotional or marketing undertaken by the Owner or business
21. The hirer shall be responsible for all freight and other charges where incurred by the Owner or the hirer in respect
of the delivery and return of the trailer.
22. In the event of a trailer breaking down the hirer shall arrange at his own expense, to return it to the Owner or its
agent forthwith. The period of the hire shall terminate upon such return of the trailer to the Owner or its agent; in no
event shall the Owner be responsible for any expenditure damage, liability and/or loss (including, without limitation
any consequential or economic loss) incurred by the hirer arising out of any breakdown or failure of the trailer.
23. In the event of the hirer being delayed in returning the trailer, the hirer is required to advise U-Haul Australia on
1300 883 075 at least 24 hours before the expiry time of the hire period, as stated on the contract. If further delay is
experienced and the amended return time cannot be met, the hirer is then required to give further notice to that effect.
The hirer agrees to indemnify the Owner against any costs and losses incurred by the Owner (including, without
limitation, any consequential or economic loss) arising directly or indirectly in connection with the hirer's failure to
provide such timely information.
24. Except to the extent (if any) otherwise provided in the hire agreement the Hirer will be totally responsible for any
loss or damage caused to the trailer during the hire period and before its return to the Owner or its agent. In the event of an
accident, the hirer will be liable for any costs incurred and all recovery charges to have the trailer returned to the nearest
U-Haul Australia repair location.This includes all towing and storage fees incurred from the date of the accident under these
terms for the recovery of and repair of the trailer.
25. INDEMNITY: The Hirer shall indemnify and keep indemnified and save harmless the Owner and the Owner's
servants and agents from and against all liability, expenses, damages, suits, actions, claims and demands of every
description whatsoever and howsoever arising either directly or indirectly from the use, maintenance, transport,
operation of the trailer (by the Hirer and those for whom it is responsible) or otherwise.
26. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: The Owner shall not be liable to the Hirer or the Hirer's servants and/or agents
from any damages, suits, actions, claims and demands of every description whatsoever and howsoever arising either
directly or indirectly from representations, warranties, terms and conditions express or implied (except in
so far as statutory conditions and warranties cannot be excluded under Part V Division 2A of the
Trade Practices Act (1974) or relevant State legislation), use, maintenance, transport, operation of the trailer or
27. OPERATION OF CLAUSE: To the extent that clauses 25 and 26 are inconsistent with other clauses,
terms or conditions of the hire contract clauses 25 and 26 shall prevail and override those other provisions to the
extent of such inconsistency.
28. The hirer agrees that he will not allow repairs to be carried out or costs to be incurred on the Owner's behalf
without having first obtained an authority number from the Owner or its agent.
- Hirer agrees to carry the spare wheel provided on the trailer at all times.
- Hirer agrees to carry a wheel brace and jack at all times, U-Haul Australia does not supply these items.
The Hirer acknowledges that he is responsible for all punctures and
that no claim or refund for tyres will be met without presenting the tyre in question to the Owner or its agent.
29. Late return fees, extended hire charges, trailer recovery charges and all other fees, charges, costs and
expenses payable by the Hirer under these terms and conditions and the hire agreement may be debited by the
Owner to the Hirers credit or debit card.
30. Trailers are not to be towed by vehicles with a greater than 4.5 tonne gross vehicle mass (GVM).
31. MAXIMUM LOAD ON HEAVY DUTY CAR CARRIER RATED 3500KG GVM IS 2.4 TONES (2400KG)
MAXIMUM LOAD ON CAR CARRIER/TRANSPORTER AND TANDEM CAGES RATED 2000KG GVM IS 1.2 TONES (1200KG)
MAXIMUM LOAD ON SINGLE AXLE TRAILERS UNBRAKED 400kg
MAXIMUM LOAD ON SINGLE AXLE TRAILERS BRAKED 700kg
32. IMPORTANT TOWING VEHICLE LIMITATIONS
The Aggregate Trailer Mass (i.e. mass of trailer plus load) MUST NOT exceed the maximum towing capacity of
the tow vehicle as specified by the vehicle manufacturer. The towing capacity of vehicles is usually provided in the
vehicle operator's hand book. Also check towbars manufacturers specification plate on towbar as the two may
33. CAUTION: Trailers fitted with over-ride brakes may not be towed where the vehicle's maximum towing capacity is less
than the total weight of the trailer and any equipment or load on the trailer. Please refer to the vehicles manual for maximum towing
capacity information, as well as the tow bar plaque for the tow bar's maximum towing capacity to ensure your towing capacity is not
exceeded. For vehicles manufactured before 01/01/1992 the maximum towing capacity is 1.5 x unladen weight of the towing vehicle.
34. A 50mm diameter tow-ball is a standard requirement for all hire trailers.
35. Our e-mail communications may include HTML-based email messages which requires your computer to be
enabled to accept HTML e-mail.
LONG TERM HIRES
36. It is the hirer's responsibility to keep the trailer in a roadworthy condition. If the hirer feels that the trailer requires
attention, they are to contact our call centre on 1300 883 075 to arrange a maintenance inspection as soon as
37. Any faults with the trailer must be reported to U-Haul Australia during normal business hours, prior to further use
of the trailer.
38. U-Haul Australia reserves the right to exchange the hire item with an equivalent item at any time during the hire
39. In the event of a credit or debit card payment being declined, attempts will continue to be made every 24 hours
to process due payment. U-Haul Australia will attempt to make contact with the hirer regarding the overdue payment.
40. In the event that U-Haul Australia is unable to make contact with the hirer and payment has not been honoured,
the trailer will be reported stolen to the Police after a period of 24 hours.
41. There is no refund for early return of the trailer.
TOLLS, FINES and ADDITIONAL CHARGES
42. All toll charges, will be charged a $35.00 administration fee plus the value of the toll fee or fine.
43. All penalty and traffic infringement fines (e.g. but not limited to, exceeding speed limit, red light camera and
parking fine) will be charged a $100.00 administration fee, plus the value of the fine or penalty applicable.
44. Any changes to bookings such as (but not limited to) time, date, location or size of trailer, will incur a
$10.00 change fee.
45. The Hirer authorises U-Haul Australia to charge its credit or debit card for all such administration charges plus
the fee or fine values where applicable without any further authority required by U-Haul Australia and regardless of
who was in possession or control of the trailer when the fee or fine was incurred and regardless of whether the Hirer
or any other person intends to appeal or otherwise dispute the fee or fine.
REFUND and CANCELLATION POLICY
46. Refunds and Cancellations are subject to the following:
a/. A minimum of 24 hours notice must be given on all cancellations prior to the start time and date of the booking.
b/. A holding and cancellation fee of $20 per week (or part thereof) calculated from the time of booking will be
deducted from the refund.
c/. Any notice pursuant to this clause is to be made by telephoning 1300 883 075 between the hours of Monday
and Friday 6am to 9pm, Saturday 6am to 8.30pm and Sunday 6am to 8pm.
47. There is no refund for any early return of the hired trailer.
48. To the extent permitted by law the Owner shall not be liable to the Hirer or its agents in respect of any
breakdown or failure of the trailer.
DAMAGE LIABILITY REDUCTION
49. The Damage Liability Reduction fee (if selected) reduces the amount for which the Hirer is liable to the Owner in
the event of damage to the trailer or hire item while it is in the Hirers possession or control and before it is returned
to the Owner. It relates to the repair or replacement cost of the trailer but only in the event of an accident (Accidental
damage to the TRAILER or HIRE ITEM only) and is valid for 1 (one) claim per hire contract. Tyres, Jockey Wheel,
Broken Lights, Hirers' Goods, Towing and Storage costs excluded. The Damage Liability Reduction fee will not cover the hirer
in the event of OVER LOADING, UNSECURED LOADS, INCORRECTLY LOADED, FIRE, UNLAWFUL USE of the
trailer or hire item, or if the hirer is in BREACH of any condition of the hire contract
50. The Hirer acknowledges and warrants that all information provided by it is true, complete and accurate and can
be relied upon by U-Haul Australia and its insurers.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON SAFE OPERATION OF WINCH:
51. Bag instructions: Please place a bag or rag on the cable between the winch and item being winched.
52. Before commencing to load rolling stock/vehicle, tyres are to be inflated to the tyres recommended PSI.
53. Maximum load for Winch is S.W.L. 1200kg, not designed for lifting and keep clear of all moving parts.
54. The winch is not to be used for securing load under any circumstances.
55. The winch is not to be used to unload any rolling stock/vehicle under any circumstances.
56. Before using winch ensure the ratchet on winch is engaged and keep engaged at all times under load.
57. Do not release cable to its full extent.
58. Do not load the trailer unless the area directly behind is clear for 20 metres and load on level ground.
59. If you have any question on the safe operation of the equipment please call our call centre on 1300 883 075
during office hours: Mon-Fri 6.00am to 9pm, Sat 6.00am to 8.30pm and Sun 6.00am to 8pm. Do not use winch if unable
to contact office.
ATTENTION: BEFORE STARTING OFF ON YOUR HIRE
60. Safety chains must be attached to tow vehicle correctly.
61. Ensure coupling handle is correctly down.
62. Ensure all lights are working correctly. It is recommended that you drive with your lights on to increase visibility
to other drivers while towing.
63. For information or questions on the above contact 1300 883 075 during office hours. If unsure you are not to
take trailer and refund will be given. The hirer shall contact U-Haul Australia immediately should the item fail to meet the hirers expectations.
64. Vouchers are not redeemable for cash.
65. Vouchers must be redeemed by the expiry date given.
66. Vouchers can only be redeemed online at www.uhaul.com.au or through our Call Centre on 1300 883 075
(vouchers cannot be redeemed by any other method).
67. Only 1 voucher can be used per hire transaction. Multiple vouchers per hire will not be accepted.
68. To redeem vouchers, a valid credit card number must be given.
69. Lost, damaged or stolen vouchers will not be re issued.
70. Please make your booking carefully, as we do not refund or re issue vouchers if you cancel your voucher booking.
71. All voucher hires are subject to our standard terms and conditions.
Dollar Value Vouchers
72. The voucher can only be used towards the value of a hire and damage waiver costs
73. If the full value of the voucher is not used on the first hire, a new voucher will be issued for the remaining balance.
This will only be issued via your valid email address upon completion of your voucher hire.
74. Late fees, trailer damages or any other additional charges incurred in excess of the standard hire and damage
waiver costs are not covered by the voucher and will be automatically debited from the credit card provided.
% Discount Vouchers
75. The % discount voucher cannot be used to extend a hire. Any additional charges incurred during or after the hire
will be charged at the standard rate and must be paid for with the credit card provided.
76. Discount will be rounded to nearest dollar.
77. The Hirer indemnifies the Owner from and against (and shall pay upon demand) all costs and expenses (including
all legal costs and expenses on a full indemnity basis and also all debt collector commissions, costs and
expenses) incurred or suffered by the Owner in or in connection with the enforcement or attempted enforcement of
the Owners rights and remedies arising from any breach by the Hirer (or those for whom it is responsible) of these
terms and conditions or any other breach of the hire contract and/or incurred or suffered by the Owner in suing for or
attempting to sue for and recover any sum due by the Hirer to the Owner under these terms and conditions or
otherwise due to the Owner under the hire contract.
78. The Hirer agrees and acknowledges that in regard to all personal information concerning the Hirer provided to or
obtained by the Owner, the Owner (and its agents and business partners):
(i) may collect, use, keep and disclose the personal information to any third party for the purposes of administering
and enforcing the hire agreement and these terms and conditions (including, without limitation, for debt collection
purposes or providing default information to credit reporting agencies) and for the purpose of promotion and marketing
of goods or services by the Owner or its business partners or others to the Hirer;
(ii) may collect, use, keep and disclose the personal information to the Owners brokers and insurers providing
insurance services either to the Owner or the Hirer incidental to the hire contract or incidental to any loss or damage
of the trailer or incidental to any insurance claim (or enforcement of the insurers subrogation rights and remedies) in
respect of any such loss or damage; and
(iii) may collect, use, keep and disclose the personal information to the Australian Transport Authority, the Police
or any other government departments or agencies for the purposes of seeking information about the Hirer or in
connection with any infringement or other law enforcement action taken or considered by such organisations.
OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH AND SAFETY REQUIREMENTS FOR TRAILER HIRE
79. As a holder of a current drivers licence, you understand the obligations you have to safely operate your
vehicle on any type of designated or undesignated roadway, or property access-way, in accordance to the
State's Road Safety / Traffic Rules. Our support to your safety is to ensure that you have the basic understanding
of your trailer hire. Your trailer hire agent is not an authorised trainer or assessor in safe towing. If at any time you
feel that you are not competent to safely attach or tow the trailer, we recommend that you do not hire the trailer at
this point and contact an authorised training organisation and/or the relevant Transport authority. Every effort is
undertaken to ensure your hire trailer is in roadworthy condition. Please do not use the trailer if there are doubts
about it's roadworthiness and report this immediately to the hire agent. As part of the hire program and in addition
to the conditions of use, it is your responsibility to report any identified or potential faults with the trailer, immediately
or as soon as possible to the hiring agent..
The Hirer hereby certifies and warrants to the Owner that he/she is competent with (and not limited to):
* Correctly connecting and disconnecting the trailer coupling hitch.
* Correctly applying the safety chain connections.
* Correctly applying the trailer light plug connections.
* Conducting light operation checks, prior and after use.
* Ensuring safe load distribution on and off the trailer.
* Ensuring any load is safely secured during loading/unloading activities, or when parked or under tow.
* Correctly securing the jockey wheel when the trailer is both under tow and not undertow.
* Adhering to the maximum load rating allowed for this trailer.
* The braking system of the trailer (if applicable).
* Operating the trailer without over or under inflated tyres.
FOR INFORMATION ON ANY OF THE ABOVE PLEASE CONTACT THE CALL CENTRE ON
1300 883 075 DURING OFFICE HOURS:
MON-FRI 6.00AM TO 9PM, SAT 6.00AM TO 8.30PM, SUN 6.00AM TO 8PM AEST.
HIRER MUST RETURN THE TRAILER AND END THE HIRE ON THE COMPUTER KIOSK AT THE DROP OFF
ADDRESS DETAILED ON THE HIRE RECEIPT TO END THE HIRE.